Accessibility statement for Space4Climate
This accessibility statement applies to www.space4climate.com
This website is run by the University of Reading on behalf of theSpace4Climate project. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- on the home page, the Twitter feed causes keyboard-only users to get stuck
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 7 days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: Briony Turner at the University of Reading email@example.com.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
The University of Reading is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances and exemptions listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We plan to add text alternatives for all images from September 2020. When we publish new content, we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
Tabbing through the home page causes a keyboard user to get stuck in the embedded Twitter feed, which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.1.2 (no keyboard trap). The feed is the final element on the page.
Videos do not have transcriptions, which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.2.1 (Audio-only and Video-only (Prerecorded). We will ensure any future videos have full transcriptions available.
We have assessed the cost of transcribing older videos on the website and concluded that would be a disproportionate burden on the limited funds of the project.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to provide transcripts of videos published before 23 September 2020. We will endeavour to provide transcripts for videos published in 2020, as resources allow.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 18/11/2020. It was last reviewed on 18/11/2020.
This website was last tested on 18/11/2020. The test was carried out by Space4Climate.
The sample pages we tested are:
- Home page: http://www.space4climate.com/
- Sample page: http://www.space4climate.com/our-work/
- Sample Event page: http://www.space4climate.com/vegetation-health-for-visitor-leisure-attractions-in-a-changing-climate/
- Sample post: http://www.space4climate.com/truths/
- Sample blog post: http://www.space4climate.com/observing-changes-in-the-urban-thermal-environment-from-space/