10 November 10, 15:00-17:00
Space & Geospatial Virtual Pavilion
The event is free and participants can register for the virtual pavilion and book a seat at the discussion table.
With event partners the UK Space Agency’s International Partnership Programme (IPP) and Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data, this event gives a platform to speakers from Indigenous groups and from countries as widespread as Vietnam to Colombia, to Cabo Verde. They represent partnerships in using space for climate action and climate-data capacity-building in collaboration with developing economies.
The speakers and break-out room discussions will explore how multi-stakeholder partnerships can deliver the critical trust needed to successfully use satellite data for climate action. It will surface common challenges and best practices for anyone interested in using geospatial information for international development objectives.
The discussions will draw on themes developed during a recent workshop focused on inclusive climate action, and feature examples from the IPP, examining how space technology and human connections can power better decision-making for climate action.
The keynote speaker will be Dr Paul Bate, CEO of UK Space Agency, and the moderator will be Davis Adieno, Director of Programs at the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data.
The expert speakers and discussion hosts have been drawn from various initiatives, including IPP projects with the panellists from: Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan (SIBELIUs), Vietnam (D-MOSS), Ghana (Forests 2020), Colombia (EO4cultivar) and Vanuatu (Re-Sat).
Organisations represented include the United Nations, the Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre, the Mercy Corps (Kyrgyzstan), Forest Carbon Partnership Facility, Pan African Climate Justice Alliance, International Research Institute for Climate and Society – Columbia University, National Forestry Commission Ghana, the Maasai-led Community Outreach and Development Services NGO, the Royal Meteorological Society, Association of Banana Growers of Magdalena and La Guajira (Colombia), Centre for Nomadic Pastoralism Studies (Mongolia), UNELCO ENGIE (Vanuatu), JBA Consulting, Community Research and Development Services Limited and the University of Leeds.
Beth Greenaway, Head of Earth Observation and Climate at UK Space Agency and Chair of Space4Climate will make the closing remarks.
- Find out more about the Space and Geospatial Virtual Pavilion and register
Full list of speakers and discussion leaders:
- Paul Bate, CEO, UK Space Agency
- Davis Adieno, Director of Programs, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
- Liz Bentley, Chief Executive, Royal Meteorological Society
- Liz Cox, Head of International Engagement, UK Space Agency International Partnership Programme
- Lilian Looloitai, Executive Director, Community Research and Development Services (CORDS) Limited
- Ana Patricia Graca, UN Resident Coordinator, Cabo Verde
- Uma Kandalaeva, Kyrgyzstan Country Director, Mercy Corps (IPP – SIBELIUs, Kyrgyzstan)
- Linet Kwamboka, Africa Program Manager, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
- Jillian Schacher, Postgraduate Researcher, University of Leeds
- Dao Khanh Tung, Programme Officer, UN Development Programme (IPP – D-MOSS, Vietnam)
- Yakubu Mohammed, National Forestry Commission Ghana (IPP – Forests 2020, Ghana)
- Andrew Kruczkiewicz, Senior Staff Research Associate, International Research Institute for Climate and Society (Earth Institute, Columbia University) & Science Advisor, Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre
- Yuliya Petsyk, Research Consultant, International Research Institute for Climate and Society (Earth Institute, Columbia University)
- Jose Francisco Zuñiga Cotes, Executive President, Association of Banana Growers of Magdalena and La Guajira (IPP – EO4cultivar, Colombia)
- Dr Batbuyan Batjav, Centre for Nomadic Pastoralism Studies (IPP – SIBELIUs, Mongolia)
- Karen Bett, Policy Manager, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
- Salina Sanou, Head of Programmes, Pan African Climate Justice Alliance
- Charles Mwangi, Thematic lead for Resilient people society and Economies & Africa Coordinator for Forest Carbon Partnership Facility, Pan African Climate Justice Alliance
- Frederic Petit, Director of Development, UNELCO ENGIE (IPP – RE-SAT, Vanuatu)
- Murray Dale, Technical Director, JBA Consulting
- Beth Greenaway, Head of Earth Observation, UK Space Agency & Chair, Space4Climate